Wednesday, 24 July 2013

thoughts on yawning and trusting


One of Smiler's party tricks is that if he opens his mouth too wide his jaw can dislocate.  I know.  Great fun.  When it goes, Smiler's mouth locks open ~ he can't close it, can't swallow ... presumably it hurts, but this is the boy who self propelled his wheelchair with a broken wrist to convince us he was 'fine ... fine mummy fine'  And why?  'Home mummy, home now'.  Not a fan of hospitals, and I can't say I blame him.  

* * * * *
A phone call just before three yesterday from school ~ his jaw is out.   While the Head Teacher was on the phone to me it resolved ~ usually a good yawn will do the trick ~ the jaw needs to be opened wider so it can click back into place, but I texted Mr Manley who was on route to collect him as usual, just to let him know.

All sorted.  Until I phoned Mr Manley a few minutes after I knew he would have got there, just to check.  You know, 'I'm sure it's all okay but ~ '.  

'It's still locked Lucas ~ I went into his classroom and he was sitting there with the other kids and it was still locked ~ it's still locked now.    I've tried, but I can't talk him through it.  He was just sat there...'

* * * * *
They didn't realise.  Maybe it went back in and came back out again, but he was sat there : no one noticing he wasn't speaking, or that saliva was spilling out of his mouth because he couldn't swallow.  In a class of seven children (including Smiler) and four staff, no body noticed his jaw was dislocated.

* * * * *


A few hours later, after holding Smiler down as he screamed and choked on gloved fingers in his mouth, after watching consultants exchange glances with one another, accompanied by barely perceptible one shouldered shrugs, after reading between the lines of questions about when did he last eat and could we just quickly weigh him please ~ after this the max fax (maxillofacial) consultant managed to unlock it.

Big sigh of relief.  From me, from the A&E docs, from the max fax consultant, from the nurses who had helped me hold him, and of course from Smiler ...
                    ... who then signed and began to say 'home' ... but as his mouth opened his jaw literally fell out of joint ~ dislocated once more.  Smiler knew immediately ~ I saw the panic light in his eyes like a warning flare. 

After a further twelve re~locations (including three by me), Smiler's head was swathed in bandages a la cartoon character with tooth~ache, we were on our way home, with strict instructions for Smiler not to open his mouth, and strict instructions for the rest of us not to yawn in either visual or audible range of him, just in case.

* * * * *

Looking on the bright side, the next time Smiler's jaw dislocates and he can't yawn it back into place, I have the official taught~to~me~by~medical~professionals technique to get it back in. Woo hoo.

But it's school.  Up until yesterday, I trusted them with my son.  But I'm not sure if I do anymore.  And I don't know what to do about that.

6 comments:

  1. Awww I am sorry. That sounds really awful and I am sad that nobody noticed him sitting there with the dislocation :-(

    On a lighter note: I nominated you for an award! http://icansaymama.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-versatile-blogger-meets-semper.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy ~ that's really kind of you ~ crazy here at the moment as term has just ended but will post in reply when I get a chance!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. I cannot imagine. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're entirely welcome Bonnie ~ I find that writing my way through my thoughts helps me manage the way I feel. Smiler is fine now, but some little things stick in your mind for a long time, you know?
      Thank you for reading Bonnie, and for commenting ~ I hope you pop back another day!
      Lucas

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, that's a tough one. I would want to sit and talk with them I think. I would hope they would understand your worries x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanna, I think you're right ~ it isn't fair to them for me to keep stewing over it and not let them know! I'll talk to school at the start of the new term in September. Thank you for visiting, and of course for commenting too!
    Take care
    Lucas

    ReplyDelete

If reading this has made you smile, or left you feeling sad; if you're fuming in anger, or shaking your head in disgust; if you'd like to share something, or just want to say hi, please do so here. Thank you.